Saturday, August 2, 2008

Berrilicious

That's me at the berry farm. Just kidding. I found it on the website for Craigie's Farm, where Fras and I went this morning. The place has amazing berries- strawberries, rasps, red currants, black currants and gooseberries! Blackberries too, but they aren't quite ripe yet. We picked our way through, and in not too long we had 2 pints of strawberries and 2 pints of raspberries.

I just need to express my happiness that pick-your-owns are still thriving these days and stress the fact, and it is a fact, that you'll never taste really good fruit until you pick it yourself. Because the berries you pick don't have to travel far when you go straight to the source, they're juicier and tastier than anything you'd find in Tesco, Stop and Shop, Ralph's, or even Whole Foods, where everything is picked to ship. Plus you don't have to pay for some corporate farm to pay minimum wage (or less) to workers and pocket the rest, when you pay more anyhow to end up with harder, blander berries covering those mushy rotten ones on the bottom-- you know what I'm talkin' bout.

Plus, it's fun to go.

And if you come to this particular farm, you can also get fresh ice cream afterward... I will be as bold to say it was the best ice cream I've ever had, too. No lies. I had "Moo" flavor, which is basically sweetened cow juice. Fraser had honeycomb, which had bits of honeycomb (sort of a caramely toffee-y crunchy thing).

Anyhow, that's my food soap box and I will step off now. Things are good. My knee is sort of goofy these days-- too much walking and working out and with incorrect shoe-age. I'm gonna lay off it as much I can, but there's so much to explore it's not easy.

Well we're about to go out to dinner and beverages. Mike got a new job, so it's time to celebrate responsibly. Ciao bellas!

No comments: